Andrew Warren's setup for A Gentleman’s Guide To Love & Murder at the Gateway Playhouse, in Bellport, New York.
Andrew's write-up and gear list below photos.
"A Gentleman’s Guide To Love & Murder. The perfect blend of murder and comedy… What else do you need?
The book for this show relies heavily on orchestral percussion (glockenspiel, xylophone, and timpani), but also has some traditional drum set components. I had a blast designing my setup for this production!
With limited space in the pit, I decided to program the xylophone and timpani onto my trusty Yamaha DTX-Multi 12 Electronic Percussion Pad. This has been one of the best investments I've made in my musical career because it helps provide lots of different sounds when you’re limited for space. I did decide to use a glockenspiel because I felt like that sound needed to be acoustically represented.
The orchestration of this score definitely made figuring out patch switches, mallet transitions, and what instruments to choose interesting. There is really no room to hide during the show because so many of the parts are very exposed and played by yourself and traded between the different instruments of the pit. I DEFINITELY got my counting practice in on this one.
Overall, this show was an awesome experience and reignited my love for orchestral percussion. Our production also featured two of the leads from the National Tour along with the Broadway director and choreographer. It was really cool to work with them!"
Drums: Gretsch Catalina Club (Satin Walnut Glaze)
- 12”x8” Rack Tom
- 14”x14” Floor Tom
- 18”x14” Bass Drum
- 14”x5.5” Sonor Force 3007 Maple Snare Drum
- Remo Coated Powerstroke 3 on Kick Drum
- Remo Emperor Coated on batter side of all drums
- Remo Ambassador clear on resonant side of all drums
- Gibraltar Curved Rack
- Pearl H-930 Series Double Braced Hi Hat Stand
- Pearl P930 Demon Style Single Bass Drum Pedal
- LP Everything Rack
- Meinl 10” Classics Custom Dark Splash
- Meinl 14” Classics Custom Dark Hi Hats
- Meinl 14” Classics Custom Medium Crash
- Meinl 20” Classics Flat Ride (Modded by Timothy Roberts)
- LP Bell Tree
- LP Jam Block
- Miller Machine with Triangle
- Remo Mondo Key Djembe
- Encore 202R White Poly Mallets
- Promark Jonathan Haas JH3 Timpani Mallets
- Vic Firth Freestyle 5A
- Vic Firth Jazz Brushes
- Musser MUS122 Brass Mallets with Two Step Handle
- Big Fat Snare Drum Original on Toms
- Big Fat Snare Drum Round Sound on Snare Drum
- TnR Products Booty Shakers Floor Tom Isolation Mounts
- KBrakes HiStops for Hi Hat
- KBrakes Kick Grips
- Cympads Chromatics on all cymbals (Red)
- Pearl Glockenspiel
- Yamaha DTX-Multi 12 Electronic Percussion Pad
- Vater VBVB Vintage Bomber Bass Drum Beater