Chris Cerreto’s setup for the 2nd National Tour of Broadway's Anastasia at the AT&T Performing Arts Center in Dallas, Texas.
"It is a fairly large setup and surprisingly, I use everything in this setup multiple times throughout the show."
Read more about Chris' setup (including his gear list) below photos.
"I joined the Anastasia 2nd National Tour mid August 2022, a year after the tour’s opening. The initial design of this setup was put together by the original drummer Ryan Blihovde, whom I took over for. I made a few modifications from Ryan's setup based on personal preference and the kind of hardware I had at my disposal.
It is a fairly large setup and surprisingly, I use everything in this setup multiple times throughout the show. It is an incredibly active book to play with a lot of fun multitasking and movement around the setup. There is little down time for the musicians so each performance can feel like a workout in itself. The book is predominately orchestral with a few fun drum set moments throughout.
Some of the important parts of my setup that make the music work.
Custom Made Double Sided Sticks:
I had custom sticks made for this specific book by Artifact Percussion, which I use for the vast majority of the show. They are a double sided 5B stick with a medium hard timpani mallet. The size, weight, and bead type of the 5B are perfect for switching between the orchestral snare moments while also sounding great on the cymbals and for the drum set moments. I don’t have time to switch to mallets for a lot of the cymbal rolls and timpani moments so I am constantly flipping these sticks around the whole show. So much so that the rest of the band thought I was adding stick tricks for fun.
Black Swamp Multisonic Snare:
Since the majority of the music is orchestral I am using Black Swamp’s Multisonic Snare to achieve a variety of sounds. The different types of snare wires and configurations that I can switch between mid-show help me get the right sound for a variety of contexts, especially when I have to try and make it sound like a drum set snare for the few drum set moments.
Cloud Kick Beater by Innovative Percussion:
This Beater along with my DW 22” kick help me achieve as close to a concert bass drum sound as possible with my feet."
- DW 22" Performance Series Bass Drum
- DW 13" Performance Series Rack Tom
- DW 16" Performance Series Floor Tom
- Black Swamp 14"x5” Multisonic Concert Snare Drum, Maple Shell
- Remo Powerstroke 3 Clear Kick Drum
- Remo Ambassador Fiberskyn on Toms
- Remo Skyntone Snare Batter Head
- Remo Diplomat Hazy Snare Side Head
- Remo Renaissance Hazy Timpani Heads
- Zildjian 20” K Constantinople Renaissance Ride
- Zildjian 19” K Constantinople Crash/Ride
- Zildjian 18” K Dark Thin Crash
- Zildjian 18” A Swish China
- Zildjian 17” A Classic Orchestral Suspended
- Zildjian 14” K Hi Hats
- Zildjian 10” K Custom Dark Splash
- Adams Timpani 26" and 29"
- Zildjian Crotales (Low Octave)
- Deagan Glockenspiel
- Chimes (4 tubes)
- Grover 10” Custom Dry Double Row - Hybrid Silver Tambourine
- Black Swamp 4" Artisan Triangle, Steel
- Black Swamp 6" Artisan Triangle, Steel
- LP One Shot Shaker
- Meinl Egg Shaker Black
- Gon Bops Sleigh Bells
- Black Swamp Grenadillo Castanets with Black Swamp Mounting Frame
- LP Cyclops Tambourine with Brass Jingles (mounted)
- Grover Temple Blocks (2)
- LP Rock Cowbell
- Ron Vaughn Wood Block
- LP Bell Tree
- TreeWorks Bar Chimes
Sticks and Mallets:
- Artifact Percussion Custom 5B/Med-Hard Timpani, Double Sided Sticks
- Vic Firth 5B Drum Sticks
- Vater Wiretap Wood Brushes
- JG Percussion MO9 Michael Oberaigner Timpani Mallets
- JG Percussion MS1 Nick Stoup Timpani Mallets
- Malletech Orchestral OR45R Hard Rattan Bell/Xylo Mallets
- Malletech Becker Blues BB34 Medium Rattan Bell/Xylo Mallets
- Vic Firth Ney Rosauro M229 Keyboard Mallets
- Black Swamp Spectrum 1/4” Light Triangle Beater
- Black Swamp Spectrum 5/16” Medium Triangle Beater
- Vic Firth Soundpower Chime Hammer
- DW 7000 Kick Drum Pedal
- Innovative Cloud Model Kick Drum Beater
- Ultimate Ears UE11’s
YouTube video of Chris playing highlights from the show.