Andrew Warren's combined book setup for Mary Poppins at the Argyle Theatre, in Babylon, New York.
Andrew's write-up and gear list below photos.
"Mary Poppins - Anything Can Really Happen!
The percussion book for Mary Poppins includes a number of different styles along with some tricky mallet licks and switches that keep me on my toes.
We are using a reduced orchestration for this run. Therefore, I am playing a combined book from the original percussion 1 & 2 books. I had a different version of the score so I added anything from that score that wasn’t in the combined book already.
This was a fun challenge to pair down three books into one. Although I am basically playing for 2 1/2 hours straight, it is a BLAST!. It gave me a reason to buy more gear including the wicked cool 'Vertical Gong' on the right of my setup from Kevin over at Creative Percussion.
If you didn’t notice I’m also rocking FOUR Miller Machines on this run! HOW COOL IS THAT?!?! It’s an absolute necessity for any Musical Theater percussionist. Is there even another way to get the job done?
Overall, this book is super challenging, but performing 6 times a week for 8 weeks is a BLAST! I highly suggest coming to see the Magic of Mary Poppins at the Argyle Theatre this holiday season!"
Drums: Tama Superstar Classics (Dark Indigo Burst Finish)
- 12” x 9” Rack Tom
- 14” x 12” Floor Tom
- 20” x 16” Bass Drum with Creative Percussion Soft Felt Bass Drum Beater
- Pearl 14” x 5” Sensitone Elite Black Nickel
- Creative Percussion 6” Pancake Snare Drum
- Evans EMAD Onyx on Kick Drum
- Evans G1 Coated on Batter Side of all drums
- Evans G1 Clear on Resonant Side of all drums
- Meinl 8” Classics Splash
- Meinl 14” Classics Custom Brilliant Crash
- Meinl 15” Pure Alloy Medium Hi-Hats
- Meinl 16” Pure Alloy Medium Crash
- Meinl 21” Byzance Polyphonic Ride
- Creative Percussion 24” Steel Xtra Thin Hammered FX Cymbal
- Gibraltar Curved Rack
- Ludwig Atlas Standard Hi-Hat Stand
- Ludwig Atlas Standard Bass Drum Pedal
- TreeWorks Classic Single Row 35 Bar Chimes
- NameBrand Double Row 36 Bar Chimes
- Stack Ring Percussion “Bell Chime”
- LP Jam Blocks (Medium, High, Piccolo)
- LP Blast Blocks (Low & High)
- LP Cyclops Mounted Tambourine
- LP Ratchet
- LP Large Cabasa
- Upcycled Percussion “Curls Waterfall” Rattle
- Miller Machines with Small, Medium, & Large Triangles
- Miller Machine with Finger Cymbal
- Yamaha Slapstick
- Meinl Percussion Mike Johnston Groove Bell
- Meinl Percussion Headliner Bongos
- Meinl Percussion Cricket
- Meinl Studio Bar Chimes (27 Bars)
- Creative Percussion 12” Serenity Gong
- Creative Percussion Vertical Gong
- Creative Percussion Guiro Stax
- Remo 8” x 7” Cuica
- Musical Spoons
- Ceramic Bird Whistle
- Pearl Glockenspiel
- Stagg 3 Octave Xylophone
- Los Cabos 5A Intense - Hickory
- Los Cabos 55AB Hickory
- Los Cabos 77A - Red Hickory
- Los Cabos Bell Mallets (Hard)
- Los Cabos Standard Brushes
- Los Cabos Duo Sticks (3A & Hard Mallet)
- Creative Percussion Bigfoot Twist Rods
- Creative Percussion Hard Felt Mallet
- Creative Percussion Large Gong Mallet
- Big Fat Snare Drum Original on Floor Tom
- Kbrakes HiStops & Kick Grips
- Cympads Black Green on all cymbals
- Snareweight M80 on Snare Drum & Rack Tom
- Gruv Percussion X-Click
- TnR Products (True Vibe Snare & Floor-Tom Isolation Mounts)
- Korg X5D Keyboard (triggering Vibes)
- Yamaha DTX Multi-12 (triggering Timpani, Chimes, and Crotales)
Andrew is a proud endorser of TnR Products, Kbrakes, Cympad, Los Cabos Drumsticks, Big Fat Snare Drum, Snareweight, Baldman Percussion, Creative Percussion, Stack Ring Percussion, Gruv-X Percussion, sE Electronics Microphones, Donner Drums and Percussion, Moises: the Musician's App.