Noah Hadland's setup for the 2nd national Tour of Waitress at the Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
"I'm currently playing drums on the 2nd National Tour of Sara Bareilles' Tony Award Nominated musical, Waitress. It's been really great getting to tour with such a compact setup. I try to emulate Sara's great drummers, and more importantly, the original Broadway drummer Rich Mercurio as best I can, and the music doesn't call for anything much bigger than the kit I'm using.
While having all the cymbals and drums to hit in a 360 setup is always fun, it's been an awesome experience to try to get the most out of this smaller setup. Not to mention, it's also much easier to tour around!
On the Roland SPD and Trigger Pad, I'm mostly doing sound effects as well as a few drum loops. We also run some of the click for the show off the SPD, some of which is triggered by me, and some of which is triggered from a foot pedal by the Musical Director.
Since the band is visible onstage for the all of the scenes that take place in the diner, we are given a prop coffee mug and encouraged to chat with each other and appear like regular diner patrons during the time that we are not playing. The poppy flower is used for a dream sequence, where the band does some basic choreography along with the ensemble, such as snapping, tapping our feet, and sniffing the fake poppy. Being on stage has definitely been a change of pace, since I'm used to playing in a pit or at least offstage for shows. I find that you have to stay much more engaged, and I feel super aware of all of my movements, especially when I'm not playing!"
Drums: Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple 4 Piece Kit
- 14" Snare
- 12" Rack Tom
- 16" Floor Tom
- 20" Kick Drum
- 15" Zildjian K Light Hi-Hats
- 18" Zildjian K Sweet Crash
- 18" Zildjian A Custom Crash
- 20" Zildjian K Constantinople Renaissance Ride
- Roland SPD-SX Sampling Pad
- Roland BT-1 Bar Trigger Pad
- Ultimate Ears UE 7 Pro for In Ear Monitors
- Big Fat Snare Drum 14" Donut-XL
- Meinl Hi-Hat Tambourine Black 1 Row
- Latin Percussion LP281 Professional Maracas
- The Miller Machine
- Alan Abel 4" Triangle
- Vic Firth American Jazz Drumsticks AJ2
- Vic Firth Gary Burton Yarn Mallets M25
- Vater Little Monster Brush