Andrew Warren's setup for Head Over Heels at the Gateway Playhouse in Bellport, New York.
Andrew's write-up and gear list below photos.
"Head Over Heels! Let’s just say, I got the beat!
The drum-set book for Head Over Heels is all music from the classic 80’s band 'The Go-Go’s'. It's a straight ahead rock book with lots of room for different interpretations from drummer to drummer.
Although the book heavily relies on drum-set and the groove, there are still a few percussion elements that add that extra 'spice' everyone loves.
I once again used the Yamaha DTX Multi-12 pad in my setup mainly because of space concerns. I programmed the Djembe along with some other sound effects to support the actors on stage. I was most excited to incorporate my '14” Versa Stack' by Stack Ring Percussion into my setup. This is basically an acoustic replication of a clap sound.
One of my favorite moments of the show is the end of the title track, 'Head Over Heels' when the cast claps on beat two of every other measure. I’m doubling the claps on the Versa Stack while keeping the backbeat on the snare. I always get lots of smiles from the other musicians and cast members when I add those claps!
As always, I’m grateful to have The Miller Machine to make my life easier while rocking out!
This was an amazing production to be a part of. Since the show only ran for a short period of time on Broadway, we were able to score the sets & costumes which really helped to take our production to the next level!"
Drums: Yamaha GigMaker (Green Glitter Grape Finish)
- 10”x7” Rack Tom
- 12”x8” Rack Tom
- 16”x 16” Floor Tom
- 22”x 16” Bass Drum
- 14”x5” Pearl Sensitone Elite Black Nickel
- Aquarian SuperKick II on Bass Drum
- Remo Ambassador Coated on batter side of all drums
- Remo Ambassador clear on resonant side of all drums
- Gibraltar Curved Rack
- Ludwig Atlas Standard Hi-Hat Stand
- Ludwig Atlas Standard Bass Drum Pedal
- Meinl 10” Classics Custom Dark Splash
- Meinl 14” Classics Custom Dark Hi Hats
- Meinl 14” Classics Custom Dark Trash Crash
- Meinl 19” Classics Custom Dark Crash
- Meinl 22” Classics Custom Dark Ride
- Meinl Wind Chimes
- Meinl Luis Conte Shaker (Black)
- RhythmTech Mounted Tambourine
- Miller Machine with Triangle
- Promark “Carter Mclean Signature” Sticks
- Creative Percussion Mallets
- Vic Firth Jazz Brushes
- Big Fat Snare Drum Original
- TnR Products (True Vibe Isolation Mounts)
- Kbrakes HiStops & Kick Grips
- Lime Green Cympads on all cymbals
- Creative Percussion “Hyper-Sphere” Bass Drum Beater
- Stack Ring Percussion 14” Versa Stack
- Snareweight M1 & M80
- Ahead Spinal Glide Throne
- Yamaha DTX Multi-12 Pad