Kevin McNaughton's setup for the National Tour of Pretty Woman at the Old National Centre (formerly the Murat Theatre) in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Kevin's gear list and write-up below photos.
“Pretty Woman travels as a self-contained six-piece band: Key 1/Conductor: Daniel Klintworth, Key 2/Assoc. Conductor: Shane Parus, Guitar 1: Oscar Bautista, Guitar 2: Claudio Rainó, Bass: Magda Kress, and myself on Drums.
Sammy Merendino originated the drum book on Broadway and also designed the outfit for the tour!"
- Roland TD-50X Series V-Drums (five-piece)
- Roland CY-16R-T 16" Ride/Crash Cymbal Pads for Crashes (2)
- Roland CY-14C-T 14" Crash Cymbal Pad for both Splash and China
- Roland PD-8 Dual-Trigger Pads for Timbales
- Roland VH-14D 14" Digital V-Hi-Hat Pads
- Roland KT-10 Kick Drum Control Pedal
- Roland SPD-SX Sampling Pad
- Boss FS-5U Foot Switches (2 for Click Track)
- Boss FS-5U Foot Switch (custom-modded, used as a trigger)
- DW 9000 Series Double Bass Drum Pedal
- DW 9000 Series Heavy Duty Hi-hat Stand - 2-leg
- Roc-N-Soc Nitro Gas Drum Throne - Black
- TreeWorks Tre630 Concert 34 Bar Chimes
- "I’m loving the ProMark Classic Forward 747B Hickory, Oval Wood Tip Sticks for this show!"
"Different from the tour, the original Broadway production had acoustic drums, an acoustic set of timbales, and an acoustic tambourine - the tambourine is now programmed in the SPD-SX.
I was excited for the opportunity to program the sound of the drums for the tour. Sammy provided me with the Roland V-Drums Expressions LTD Arsenal Expansion Pack for the TD-50X. I selected the Neil Peart Artist Pack as the basis of my sound and exchanged the snare drum for the Carter Beauford snare. I then customized the entire kit, manipulating multiple settings within the TD-50X module.
The SPD-SX serves as an instrument (timpani, tambourine, and triangle) as well as a controller for Ableton. I trigger Ableton and the click tracks for the entire show.
Ableton/click is also trigged using a Roland BT-1 and three different Boss FS-5U triggers at the heel of my left foot. Most of the pits on tour have rather dim lighting during the show, so I use green spike tape, outlining each pad to be able to see them in the dark. Additionally, I place glow tape on the tops of the FS-5Us.
Sammy intuitively designed the two FS-5Us on the left of the heel to fire the click/kill switch and the foot switch on the right to fire loops in Ableton. There are some challenging sections to coordinate playing and triggering with the heel, something that is incredibly fulfilling to execute every performance!
Also at my feet is a Roland KT-10 Kick Drum Control Pedal that sounds timpani and an 808 kick drum sample. The lighted red button (also at my feet) switches the Main Ableton to the Back-up Ableton computer.
Pretty Woman is a blast to play! Styles include Ballroom Dance, 80's Rock, 90's Rock, various eras of Pop, Broadway, and Opera. We are currently on tour until August 2022.”
Kevin is a proud endorser of Soultone Cymbals.